Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week 7 Storytelling: Lady in Waiting

Waiting for You from Imgion


            Though I am with my Mother, I still feel utterly alone. She has done nothing but love and adore me, yet I cannot help but still feel the heat of bitterness constrict my heart like the coils of a king cobra. And that king cobra is the love of my life Rama. They always say that love is a heavy burden to carry, but what they do not mention is the weight of a doomed love. Doomed is exactly what Rama and I were always going to be. I knew this even before Rama defeated the ten-headed rakshasa Ravana.
            I never told Rama, nor will I ever now, that Sumantra told me the story of mine and Rama’s doomed love before he would ever even tell Rama. I knew pretty early on that Rama was more than a man, though I cannot lie and say Vishnu’s avatar was not a surprise. It certainly was, and his inevitably run in with karma due to his transgressions as Vishnu was bound to amount to this sort of payback. I told myself that while karma was hard, such a thing was against the stars.
            Yet here I am, living in the earth with my Mother after a long banishment done unto me by the same man I promised I’d never betray and never have. I do not regret the time I spent with Rama, however I do regret that I could not give him the loyalty needed for fear not to so cloud his eyes and judgment in the end. But even our love could not save Rama and I from what was karma’s destiny for us in this life. It is a tragedy because while I wish to spend eternity and more with my love, this life gave us so little time together. We were together, and then Ravana ripped me away and it felt like only shortly after Rama rescued me I was banished. This life was indeed a tragedy.
            I still have hope, though. Because while I can feel our time in these lives waning, I feel the birth of our new lives awakening and the things Rama has done right for us in this life will surely appease karma for his past wrongdoings. In my heart I know that my love and I will have our whole lives to spend together in peace and happiness. So I will wait out my time here with Mother, until my new life is ready and waiting.

THE END.

Author’s Note: The story I took from this week was basically where Rama banishes Sita for things she didn't do and yet she still comes back to him to prove her innocence. The way she proves it is that if she is loyal then Mother Earth should take her into the earth with her (which happens because she's innocent and loyal to Rama). My retelling picks up there. Sita waits in earth with Mother Earth and she recalls that she knew Rama was going to have bad karma in this life and that she hopes her next life will be better and longer with her love.


Buck, William (1973). Ramayana: King Rama’s Way.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, Tia! Your storytelling post was very impressive. Dramatic, yet telling- it certainly provided a different perspective on the situation. I wouldn’t have even thought of writing a story with this tone but after reading yours, I’m super impressed and wish I had. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future- keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tia! This was a really great story because it gave us a great insight on Sita’s feeling on the whole situation. It was very detailed and made sure to keep the readers attention throughout the story. This was a great story because it is exactly the way I pictured it and just put my thoughts in words. I can’t wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tia! This story is excellent! You have a beautiful way with words! I loved reading your story and got the chills with how good your imagery was. Your story was dramatic, engaging, and a delight to partake in. I like that you wrote from Sita's point of view. I really wish the Ramayana would have given Sita the credit I feel like she deserves. However, I suppose that is not to be expected given the social structure of India and it's culture at the time of the Ramayana's publication.

    I rally loved this story and can't wait to read more from you! Also, great blog background! It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tia, I just got done reading your storytelling post for this we, and I have to say it is extremely well written. Also this has to be one of the more dramatic storytelling posts that I have read from this class. I also really enjoyed the storyline with Sita's banishment and chose it for my storytelling post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tia, it was good reading your story and I have to admit you can write really well. You did an excellent job of writing Sita’s point of view and expressing her feelings. It felt as if she herself was telling me how she felt. You did a good job of mixing the feelings of sadness for being banished but also happiness from having a chance to have a small amount of time with Ram. I hope to be reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tia,
    Wow! Your story was great! It is obvious you put a lot of thought into this. You used a lot of great detail which made it easy to understand exactly how she was feeling during this moment. I would imagine this is exactly how she was feeling. It really sounded as if she were the one speaking.
    I like how she did not regret her time with Rama and still had hope of a better ending.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tia,

    I feel bad for type-casting you, but I originally thought this was going to be a horror/drama. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I did. Trying not to repeat what other's have already said, I liked the way Sita talks in reflection. I think your style lends a lot of credibility to your story. It was also great how you had her reflect on how brief life is in the grand scheme. That part to me was actually a little chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tia, I still find it difficult to read your posts because of your distracting background, nevertheless, great job with the story! The way you compared a mom with Mother Earth was genius. I thought that your descriptions of how Sita felt were on par with how I imagined she was feeling. Also, I liked how short your author’s note was this week. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi tia, great job on this weeks storytelling and the portrayal of Sita's inner struggle. You did a wonderful job expressing Sita's feelings across the spectrum of emotion. I like the twists that you added in while still maintaining the overall basis of the original story. Overall great job and keep up the amazing writing.

    ReplyDelete