Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 11 Storytelling: Goddess Help Me Write This Paper

Saraswati Wallpaper via Santa Banta

Operation write my final essay has officially begun. In case you’re new to my blog, you should know that I am currently one essay away from graduating. And here I am telling all of my readers about said essay instead of actually writing it. Oh senioritis, why must you afflict me so?
What’s worse is that it’s for my capstone so I literally need it to pass the class and to be able to graduate. It’s not even a hard topic, but it’s so difficult because I don’t want to write anything. My major is Professional Writing and I have to write a 20-page paper on any topic that involves writing. Ironically, I could write about not wanting to write. I won’t though because I think my professor was born before the invention of sarcasm and laughter.
Anyway, I have my topic and I know what I want to write, but I just can’t. Some call it writer’s block, but I call it my stupid brain wanting me to join the McDonald’s workforce instead of graduating. Yes, my brain has it out for me. Friends have told me I’m crazy, but I know my brain wants me to fail at everything in life. But I have a plan that will solve all of this!
I’m going to invoke the powers of Saraswati, the goddess of words and writing. I figure she can be my own personal muse for this essay. Since I can’t seem to be able to do this alone, perhaps she’ll be able to help.
I’ve already got all the ingredients for the invocation. I’ve got some sage, a little bit of all four elements, a ceremonial knife, and tons of candles. I’ve seen The Craft like 50 times, and if seeing them invoke the spirits as many times as I have has taught me anything it’s how to summon up some magic. I mean, if I can’t invoke Saraswati then I don’t know who can because no one has seen that movie as many times as I.
Yes, I realize that I am using The Craft as my encyclopedia for all things invocation involved, but I don’t really give a damn. It’s a brilliant film inspired by real life and real magic. Everything in that film is real, you guys.
So I’m signing out now to go invoke my future muse. If it doesn’t work I’ll be back online immediately to write up a hate post on my. If it works, however, then I will see you all tomorrow after I write up the most pristine final essay for class and ace my final semester of my undergrad. Ciao for now!

THE END.

Author’s Note: My inspiration for this retelling just same from Buck’s invoking of Saraswati at the beginning of his version of the Mahabharata. I was just thinking that I really could have used a goddess of words and writing during quite a few of my writing classes (my capstone included). I thought it would be fun to just do it in a blogging style, since I totally don’t get to blog enough. But that’s the gist of it. I just wanted to utilize the character of Saraswati in my own story.


Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata.

3 comments:

  1. Tia, this is really great! I like how creative you made this whole story for your readers. I really enjoyed the details and the whole idea why you wrote this. I am sure that must is super exciting coming to the end of it all. I enjoyed the story and I hope you finish it up! Good luck with your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia,
    I'm a little sad that this is the first time throughout the semester that I have read your writing because I love your level of sarcasm. I'm not sure I would have any idea were to start when it comes to writing a paper about writing; hell I can barely manage to retell a story when its sitting directly in front of me. However, from what I'm reading I think you'll be able to pull something out that can fill up the page. Good luck summoning up the spirits, hopefully they can help you knock out those 20 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tia, I would like to say I really like reading your stories especially because of the smoothness of them. I am not much of a writer and I always struggle with this kind of stuff, so I find reading your work something to learn from. I also liked the amount of details your threw into the story and how creative it was.

    ReplyDelete