Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 8: Famous Last Words



My bunny, Basil, passed away a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I’ve really thought about it since and it’s still really heartbreaking. My roommate and I had just pulled into the parking lot of the Animal ER when he passed away in my roommate’s arms. I keep thinking it’s my fault. If I had only taken him to the ER that morning instead of waiting to see if he got better after eating a bunch of spinach, maybe he’d still be alive. I don’t know. I didn’t really want to write anything on here about it, because I don’t want pity or condolences. It was a horrible experience, but it gave me a new light on life and a lot of inspiration for writing.
A story I’ve been working on for about a year now finally has the tone that it needs because of the experience brought on by Basil’s passing, and it’s awful but exactly what writers have to experience to become more believable. I know some people are just like, “it’s a bunny, get over it,” but Basil was a part of my roommates’ families, and mine, just as is our puppy, Nova (aka my baby/princess/punk).

As for writings I’ve been proud of, I can’t say I have any. I wrote a visual script for one of my classes (no dialogue) about a man recently dishonorably discharged who now works at a gas station. The gas station is robbed and he gets knocked out, but when he awakened he finds a bomb strapped to his body. I’m not sure if it’s good or not because I don’t usually write action stories like that, much less army stories. I know nothing about that sort of thing, but hopefully it came across how I envisioned it in my mind. I don’t know, but I’ll find out come Tuesday!


All Photos Curtesy of My Roommate Brooke Hoover. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Tia, losing a pet is so hard. We lost our wonderful cat year before last, during Spring Break (worst Spring Break ever...), and it still makes me cry to think about it. But he was a great cat, so many happy memories. Keep the memories, and keep all those lovely pictures of your bunny. What a pretty guy! And listen, I remember Brooke Hoover - tell her hello from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia, I am so sorry to hear about your bunny. That is very tragic that he passed away in your roommates arms. Do you know what was wrong with him? Wow that is really interesting that your story needed what you experienced as a result of your bunny’s death. Sounds like you have a wide scope of genres you are capable of writing. Really impressive.

    ReplyDelete